Fasteners and types of Fasteners:
Fasteners are commonly being manufacture for joining two objects together. These are widely used for creating temporary joints. These fasteners are widely joined using various joining methods such as crimping, welding, gluing, cementing, soldering, etc. sometimes, these can also be attached by using magnetic friction or force.
There are 3 types of steel fasteners stainless steel, alloy steel, and carbon steel. Fasteners are further divided into two categories that are permanent and non-permanent. These non-permanent fasteners are designed differently, so the removal becomes much more accessible and convenient.
There are various types of fasteners such as :
- Threaded and non-threaded
Permanent fasteners can not be removed and reused, whereas non-permanent fasteners can be reused and reassembled as they are manufactured reusable for purpose. There are various types of non-permanent fasteners. These non-permanent fasteners are further divided into two more categories that are threaded and non-threaded.
Threaded fasteners are easy to remove and are reusable. Threaded fasteners are commonly used in assembling components. External or internal threads extensively recognize these. The primary purpose of these fathers is to assemble two joints together. There are various types of threaded fasteners available in the markets in multiple sizes and dimensions.
Types of threaded fasteners :
Bolts are commonly being used for various commercial purposes. Bolts have a head-on its end. These are used with a pair of nuts or washers to hold two or more components together. There are various types of bolts that are available in markets.
Types of bolts:
- Hex Bolts: Hex bolts have a hexagonal head.
- Sex Bolts: Also known as barrel bolts or Chicago bolts, these bolts are sold in a pair together, including a bolt and a nut.
- Eye bolts: These are the bolts with a ring head that are commonly used for fixing chains.
- Carriage bolts: also known as cup squares, have a smooth head and ordinarily hold metals or wood together.
- U Bolts: These bolts are commonly used in plumbing fields and on construction sites. These bolts are highly used for holding round objects.
Screws are almost similar to bolts, and it also has ahead on the one end. These screws are made of metal; screws also have sharp and pointy edges, which can help them to cut the surface. When the screw is rotated, it drills the exterior and forms a tight grip. There are various types of screws that are available in the markets. The usage of the screws depends upon the work sites.
Types of screws:
- Sheet metal screws: sharp and edgy and commonly used for perforating metal sheets, plastic, and wood.
- Machine screws: These screws are permanently placed into the drilled holes and are primarily used for machined purposes.
- Eye screws: Eye screws as a hoop at the end, which makes it look like an eye
- Wood screws: Wood screws are made of metal commonly used to attach two or more wood pieces.
Studs are manufactured with threaded ends on both sides; hence it does not have a head-on any of the ends. These studs are commonly used for joining two components internally.
Nuts are commonly made from high alloyed metals. They are used with bolts and have internal threads. There are different types of nuts and applications. Nuts have high chemical and mechanical properties.
Types of nuts:
- Hex Nuts: these nuts have hexagonal heads. These nuts have internal threads. These are the most highly used nuts in all types of industries. Hex nuts have six sides.
- Lock Nuts: These nuts are manufactured for locking an object to protect it from vibrations and clamping. These lock nuts provide excellent safety and protection.
- Shear Nuts: Shear nuts are one of the most important for security. These nuts are also known as security nuts. These are used as a permanent solution. It is a locking device that provides excellent protection from vibrations and clamping. It is a cone-shaped nut.
- Nylon insert nuts: these are called nylon insert nuts because of the nylon insertion. Nylon keeps the nut stable and prevents it from coming off.
- Wing Nuts: These nuts are used for temporary applications. It is easily removable. These are manufactured with two wings which provide excellent grip and manual turning.
A washer is a round-shaped thin steel plate placed between a bolt and a nut. The washer provides excellent fixing between the bolt and nut. It secures the density between the bolt/ stud and the nut. The sizes and thickness of the washer vary according to its application.
Types of washers:
- Spring washers: These washers are commonly used for preventing bolts, screws, and nuts from being unsteady.
- Flat washers: These washers are used for distributing the pressure equally. It also tightens the grip.
- Cup washers: These are commonly used for wooden applications.
- Repair washers: also known as fender or penny washer.